For millions of people, sensitive teeth can make life miserable. The pain and discomfort make even favorite hot or cold foods impossible to enjoy. All is not lost. In many cases, sensitive teeth can be successfully treated bringing long sought after relief.
You may have sensitive teeth if you have twinges of pain or discomfort in certain situations, including:
- Drinking or eating cold things
- Drinking or eating hot things
- Eating sweets
- Touching the teeth with other teeth or the tongue
Some causes of sensitivity:
- Brushing your teeth too hard — This wears away the enamel layer.
- Poor oral hygiene — This may allow tartar to build up at the gum line, leaching minerals from the tooth.
- Long-term tooth wear
- Untreated cavities
- An old filling with a crack or leak
- Receding gums, often caused by periodontal diseases or by brushing too hard
- Gum surgery
- Excessive tooth whitening
- Frequently eating acidic foods or drinking acidic beverages
- Decay or infection
- A recent filling
- Excessive pressure from clenching or grinding
- A cracked or broken tooth
We have in-office and take-home products that are very helpful in relieving sensitive teeth.
To schedule an appointment or consultation, call 815.625.6842.