Implants are devices that replace the roots of missing teeth. They are used to support crowns, bridges or dentures. Most of the time, implants feel more natural and secure than other methods of replacing missing teeth.
There are many reasons it’s important to replace missing teeth:
- Having all of your teeth can make you more self-confident. You don’t worry that people notice that you have teeth missing.
- When teeth are lost, the area of the jawbone that held those teeth starts to erode. Over time, you can lose so much bone that you will need a bone graft to build up your jawbone before Dr. Ferris can place implants or make a denture that fits properly.
- Tooth loss affects how well you chew and what foods you are able to eat. Many people who have missing teeth have poor nutrition, which can affect overall health.
- The loss of teeth can change your bite, the way your teeth come together. Changes in your bite can lead to problems with your jaw joint, called the temporomandibular joint.
- Losing teeth can lead to changes in your speech, which also can affect your self-confidence.
Benefits of implants include:
- Feel — Because implants are imbedded in your bone, they feel more like your natural teeth than bridges or dentures.
- Convenience — You will not need to worry about denture adhesives or having your dentures slip, click or fall out when you speak.
- Nutrition — You will be able to chew better with implants. Chewing can be difficult with regular dentures, especially ones that don’t fit perfectly. A regular upper denture also covers your palate, which can reduce your sense of taste.
- Self-Esteem — Because implants are so much like your natural teeth, you will think about them less. Your self-esteem and confidence will be improved because you will not have to worry about denture problems or people noticing that you have missing teeth. Regular dentures also can affect your speech, which can make you less self-confident when talking with others.
To schedule an appointment or consultation, call 815.625.6842.